This is the Tim Bacon “Zone Model” for squash tactics that we will be focusing on this month. Acknowledgements to Princeton’s Bob Callahan and Gail Ramsay for allowing me to implement the model at their camps and helping with the details, and most recently to William Smith’s Chip Fishback for his wonderful graphic of the model!
Four Tuesdays 7-9 pm – Free Play right after 9:00-9:30 pm
National Team quality training with Tim Bacon, Level 4 Squash Coach and former Canadian Jr. National Coach (coach of World #1 Jonathon Power) and certified strength (CSCS) and mental training consultant (CMTR):
– tactical training: learn how to make the right shot at the right time;
– technical training: individual video feedback (you receive video clip with audio and visual corrections) on your major flaws and how to correct them;
– physical training: learn the essentials to prevent squash injuries;
– mental training: learn how to analyze your performances and make a short mental plan to play your best
Every week will feature all four types of training with a minimum of 1.5 hrs. drills and playing and about 30 min. of physical/mental training of-court between 7 and 9 pm.
Free play following the training where Tim will roam, answer questions and give feedback.
1 Tuesday September 9:
– How to get your body ready for squash – the EXOS system: movement prep\.
– Zone tactics – learn to choose the right shots from the front-, mid- and back-court.
– how to regenerate after play to minimize soreness – how to use the rollers and tennis balls.
2 Tuesday September 16:
– Prehab: Key strength exercises to balance the body and avoid injury;
– Alternate zone games & drills: front, mid-, back-court. Here are some front court game/drill links.
– Regeneration: more post-training exercises: Exos Regeneration Activities
3 Tuesday September 23:
– Exos strength – focus on prehab and injury prevention – with Skylar Marcoux – Certified Strength Specialist and Smith ESS MSc. student (she was the strength person for our team last year!)
– More zone games and drills – here is a sample from the PPS Summer Camp with World #1 Karim Darwish and Miguel Rodriguez (top 30):
– Breathing before your serve to clear head and relax – and other competitive mental skills:
4 Tuesday, September 30
– Video feedback: Put it all together and get video feedback on your match play and strokes – here I analyze World #1:
– and here Karim demonstrates the grip/wrist necessary to optimally play squash:
– Learn the best drills and conditioned games to keep your game sharp all season long – here are the basic ones for this week:
Play out point after prescribed conditions performed.
(always straight drop or X in front)
Back – A serves, B cannot volley;
Back – A serves deep and straight from front T – B cannot volley – play out pt. (so B drives, def boasts or COLFs).
Mid (volleying) – A serves a) a lob or semi-lob straight & short (first bounce before short line) or b) X and loose (cannot hit side wall) – B volleys straight: i) volley drive (to dying length) or ii) volley drop or kill.
Mid (with a bounce) – A serves “short and medium pace” from back-court behind service box to mid-court – B straight drops balls that land short in the middle, and working boasts balls that are tighter to the side wall, and drives back the balls that are against the side wall (and A re-serves)
A boasts, B a) drops low, hard 3-wall def. boast – if B drops – A must REDROP and then play out point. b) drives 2-wall working boast or high def. boast (if you have time to drop – DON’T!!!).
Serve/Return Rituals (explain once front game 1 underway).
IPS Focus Plan Lecture (brief – refer to vid).
– Stroke or let? Two simple models to guide your decisions!
Registration and Payment
The cost of the four clinics is $100/person when payment is received (full refund if cancellation received 7 days prior to first clinic) by Sept. 1. (credit card, check, Venmo, Paypal). The cost after Sept. 1 for the four or to just drop in and show up on a weekly basis is $30 per evening cash only. Email Tim at email@example.com to register and call him at 1-413-330-8222 with any questions.